Self Evaluation Questionaire
This brief questionnaire can give you an idea of whether you are experiencing some degree of hearing loss.
Answer yes or no.
1. Do you hear people talk but have difficulty understanding the words?
2. Do people seem to mumble or speak more softly than they used to?
3. Do you need to ask people to repeat things frequently?
4. Do you have trouble hearing at the movies, house of worship, concert halls or other public gathering places?
5. Have you had any significant noise exposure at work, recreation or in military service?
6. Do you have a ringing in the ears or other head noises (hissing, buzzing, crickets, etc.).
Tinnitus often accompanies hearing loss, but not always, and as such, may be the ears way of saying “ouch”!
Many people can answer yes to at least one question. But if you answered yes to two or more questions, it’s time for a more thorough investigation.
Try keeping track of your hearing experiences for a few days or a week.
Track the number of times you experience difficulty in conversation, or how often you ask someone to repeat themselves.
Ask a friend to set the TV volume to a comfortable listening level; is it loud enough for you to hear comfortably and understand the dialog?
What do your answers tell you?